Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ZORRO (1974) One Don Diego, minus the Banderas, please

"Zorro" was a 1974 multi-country production starring Alain Delon, who made his biggest American splash as a pilot in the cumbersome "Concorde:Airport 79". My put-upon sister took me to see "Zorro" theatrically during a late 70's rerelease. I remember some serious swashbuckling, fantastic stunt work involving equine action, a lot of Alain Delon smooching, and the song "Zorro's Back", which was used to great effect a couple years back in the Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson collaboration, "Bottle Rocket".

This enjoyed some great late night runs on our pre-cable television sets back in the day, and I'm hoping to track it back down on DVD sometime in the near future. It would be nice if it would not fall into that category of movies & shows from back then that either I enjoyed or frightened me, which turn out to be not so great upon later-life viewings. This is an every growing phenomenon that I call BTARS.

It's an affliction that you lapse into when you collect the popcorn, soda, and snacks and pop in a days-long-gone-by movie that you're geeked up about seeing again only to realize BOY THAT ACTUALLY REALLY SUCKED. BTARS. There is no cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment