Sunday, February 22, 2009

MAGNUM FORCE



Yeah, I'd need both hands to count how many times I stayed up for the second film in the "Dirty Harry" Callahan film series. Many nights, I sat in front of the age-old Sylvania console television, rubbing the sleep out of my overworked peepers. I forced myself to stay alert with the single minded purpose of catching Clint himself as he blows away half of the crooked San Francisco police force, a single-handed, one man walking death warrant for the corruption that had infiltrated the SFPD, under the evil guidance of one Hal Holbrook.

Hal's soldiers included a then unknown Tim Matheson who went on to some fame in "Animal House", and as a side note, I believe I just caught his name on the small screen recently as a director of an episode of "Psych". A young David Soul, a few short years before "Starsky & Hutch", and the mini-series that had me defecating in my pants, "Salem's Lot", was also one of the "dirty" cops that spent much of their time pulling over known pimps and drug dealers for one reason, and one reason only, and that was to blow their brains out.

You might question why 'ol Harry, a damn-near vigilante himself, would have a problem with this sort of thing. That gets answered succinctly late in the film, when good old Mr. Holbrook's character asks Harry about his "hypocrisy" and the Inspector's frequent "bucking of the system".

"Until something better comes along....." was his answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment